They say if you want a job done right, do it yourself!
Your car is likely to be one of your most prized possessions, so washing and looking after it well should be a priority. By regularly washing it, you will prevent dirt from causing damage to the paintwork and you will preserve the condition of your vehicle.
It is however very important that you use the right kind of soap when you wash your car. Many household cleaning products like dish soap and dishwashing detergents, contain chemicals that can strip and damage the paintwork of your car. That is why you need to invest in a really good car wash soap.
Car wash soaps are specially formulated to protect and look after the paint surface of your car. These days there are so many options to choose from it’s hard to know where to start. But fear not – we’ve got you covered! We decided to make life a little easier for you by putting together a list of the best car cleaning products on the market. This should help you find the best car wash soap for your car.
The Best Car Wash Soap – Top Ten:
We have washed and we have polished more cars than Karate Kid in our search for the best car wash soap on the market. So by now, we are pretty confident that our top ten list will be a great help for you when it comes to choosing the best product for your car. Here it goes:
1. Adam’s Car Wash Shampoo
Adam’s Polishes has grown a lot since the company was started in 2000. The company strives for quality and perfection and every product of theirs undergoes extensive testing and research. In other words – this is a company you can trust.
Firstly, this concentrated car wash soap shampoo goes a long way! Just add a few drops to your bucket of water (or foam gun or foam cannon) and Bob’s your Uncle! The soap produces a thick foam that safely lifts all dirt and other environmental contaminants away. This pH neutral car wash soap is spot-free, rinses clean and won’t strip existing waxes, sealants, or ceramic coatings. It is a multifaceted product as it can be used on all car surfaces, such as paint, vinyl, rubber, plastics and windows.
- Can be used on all car surfaces.
- The concentrated formula makes it go a long way.
- It’s PH balanced for safe and effective cleaning.
- Cutting edge formulations with a blend of advanced cleaners & polymers.
- Won’t strip existing wax, seals or ceramic coatings.
- Can be considered a bit pricey.
2. Chemical Guys CWS_402 Mr. Pink Super Suds Car Wash Soap and Shampoo
The Chemical Guys brand is driven by a passion for shine! And after testing this car wash soap we can confirm that they deliver on their promise of high quality and unique solutions. It’s quick and easy to use and foams up well. The car soap is PH neutral for a gentle wash and it rinses clean with no residue. You can use it with a normal bucket wash or a foam gun. The soap leaves your regular wax job in place which is a bonus for plenty of car enthusiasts. Worth to mention as well is that it smells really good!
- Rinses clean with no residue.
- Quick and easy to use.
- Foams up generously.
- Smells good.
- Can be used with bucket wash or foam gun.
- Uses premium super polymers.
- Allows you to wash your car in direct sunlight.
- It won’t remove wax.
- Doesn’t work as well with some foam cannons.
- Can leave a film on glass.
3. SHINE ARMOR Ultra Concentrated Car Wash Soap – Wash & Wax Formula
Shine Armor strives to be one step ahead of the competition with the most cutting-edge technology. All their products are designed for use in the comfort of your own home with no complicated tools or manuals necessary, saving you time and money!
This car wash soap can be used easily with either a traditional bucket method car wash or with a foam cannon. It is formulated with a unique blend of biodegradable surfactants. When these are activated with water, it creates a deep cleaning foam that lifts away dirt and grime with ease.
It also comes with Super gloss enhancers, and who doesn’t want that for extra shine?
This powerful concentrated car soap makes 256 gallons of car washing soap, so it offers great value for money as well.
- Super concentrated and will make 256 gallons of car wash soap.
- Doesn’t remove existing wax.
- Comes with super gloss enhancers.
- Great value for money.
- Quick and easy to use.
- pH balanced foaming action.
- Deep cleaning.
- The product can appear a bit watery.
- Some customers have reported that the product left some residue on their car windows.
4. Chemical Guys CWS20764 Extreme Bodywash & Wax Car Wash Soap with Color Brightening Technology
The Chemical Guys are back with more shine with this Extreme Bodywash and Wax car wash soap. What the experts at Chemical Guys wanted to do with this product was to recreate the shine of a brand new car. The soap offers a color brightening technology that enhances the gloss of any paint color and with every wash, a synthetic wax formula adds extra protection to your car. It is pH balanced and safe for use even in direct sunlight.
- Comes with a color brightening technology for extra gloss.
- A synthetic wax formula adds extra protection to the car.
- It is PH balanced for safe usage.
- Won’t leave any spots or stains after the wash.
- Perfect for use with any foam gun or foam cannon.
- High lubricity formula.
- Foams very well, with or without a foam cannon.
- A little goes a long way.
- Some customers have reported a visible residue on some vehicles.
- Some faults have been reported in regards to packaging.
5. The Last Coat The Last Soap – Wash, Detox and Seal All in One
The Last Coat (TLC) started as a small garage operation and has steadily grown and become a much-loved brand with a focus on product quality and customer service to the highest standard.
The Last Coat The Last Soap car wash is extremely versatile and can be used with bucket wash or with a foam cannon for fast application. The soap works great on all exterior surfaces including chrome and glass. It’s very economical and one bottle should last between 12-32 washes. Talk about bang for your buck! It’s also PH neutral, which means that it is gentle on any surface. Your car will be washed, detoxed and coated in one simple application. What’s not to love?
- Very economical – one bottle lasts up to 32 washes.
- It’s PH balanced and gentle on any surface.
- Can be used with wash bucket or foam cannon.
- Works well on all surfaces including chrome and glass.
- Wash, detox and coat in one application.
- The soap gets in and cleans out the microscopic “pores” of your vehicles.
- It’s easy to apply and removes dirt very effectively.
- We honestly struggled to find any negative attributes but some customers have reported that they still find it to be on the expensive side.
6. Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser
The Chemical Guys deliver again with this super foamy car wash soap. It has a unique PPM (Parts Per Million) formulation that delivers a gradual variety of millions of cleaning bubbles that once foamed onto a surface, work very fast and effectively to lift abrasive contaminants away from your car paint’s surface. The soap is very versatile as it is safe to use on all vehicle surfaces including rubber, paint, glass, vinyl and plastics. The Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser formula is a hyper concentrate, so a little goes a long way.
- Very versatile, it can be used on all vehicle surfaces.
- Hyper concentrated formula makes a little go a long way.
- Unique PPM formulation.
- Works very fast and effectively.
- Can be used diluted in a bucket or used with a foam gun.
- Has a pH neutral formula for safe cleaning.
- Suds are thick and rich.
- It has a very pleasant scent.
- Some customers have reported that it doesn’t work as well in a foam cannon as in a bucket wash.
- Some malfunctions with packaging have been reported.
7. Chemical Guys CWS_101 Maxi-Suds II Super Suds Car Wash Soap and Shampoo, Cherry Scent
All you need is a capful of this cherry scented all-purpose car wash soap from Chemical Guys, and you will get suds for days! It has very impressive foaming and cleaning abilities that set you up for a quick and easy wash that also smells amazing! Not only is this car wash soap extremely effective but it is also very natural and gentle. That is a combination that is often very hard to find, and we like it!
We also like that you can use this soap out in the sun since it is formulated with water softeners to reduce streaking and it will not leave water spots after rinsing. We can also reassure all car enthusiasts out there, that you can use this product to wash your car safely without it stripping your wax or sealants. Worth to mention as well, is that this soap is pH neutral and is suitable for bucket wash as well as foam guns and pressure washers.
- Very impressive foaming and cleaning abilities.
- Natural and gentle formula.
- Can be used for bucket wash or with foam guns and pressure washers for quick application.
- It has a very nice scent.
- Formulated with water softeners to reduce streaking.
- It is highly concentrated so a little goes a long way.
- It is pH neutral to ensure gentle yet effective cleaning.
- The bottle can easily dent and cause damage or leaking.
- Slightly pricey.
8. Chemical Guys CWS_808 Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Suds Car Wash Soap
We obviously like Chemical Guy’s products because here’s another stellar performer that deserves a spot on our best car wash soap list! This High Suds Car Wash Soap produces very thick suds and a foam that will clean all dirt and grime away without you having to work too hard. It maximizes shine and optical clarity while maintaining waxes and sealants.
Chemical Guy’s products are known for being versatile, and this soap is no exception as you can use it with a two-bucket wash, foam gun, or a foam cannon wash. Adding to the sweetness of this product is the gentle and safe wash it offers due to it being PH balanced. We didn’t notice any residue after rinsing and we were very happy with the shine.
- Produces very thick suds and foam.
- Quick and easy to use.
- Can be used with bucket wash, foam gun or foam cannon.
- PH balanced for a gentle but effective wash.
- Leaves no residue after rinsing.
- Maximizes shine and optical clarity on any colour paintwork.
- The bottle could be of better quality.
- A bit on the pricey side.
9. Chemical Guys CWS61964 Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish Car Wash Soap
This car wash soap from Chemical Guys is fantastic for black or darker colored vehicles. We all love the sexy slick look of a black car, but they can be a mission to wash and maintain. So we were happy to come across this Black Light Hybrid Car Wash and even happier to find out how well it works!
It gives a great shine to your car and you don’t have to worry about scratches or swirls to the paint.
The product is also very easy to use, with a normal two-bucket wash or a foam gun. This premium silk and scratch-free car wash soap produce a great amount of foam very easily and on top of that – the scent is nice! It’s a win-win!
- It is pH-balanced and protects wax and sealant coatings.
- Easy to use with bucket wash or foam guns.
- Perfect to use on black and darker vehicles.
- Premium silk and scratch-free formula.
- The soap creates foam very easily.
- A little goes a long way.
- Great for penetrating dirt and grime on the vehicle.
- Smells great.
- A few customers have reported that it left a film on their cars.
- A few reports of faulty packaging has been noted.
10. Superior Image Maxi-Foam Car Wash Soap and Shampoo, Cherry Scent
Superior Image opened its doors in 1998 as a small side business between two brothers. Today it has transcended into a multi-million dollar company. Their range of high-quality products are professional grade and manufactured by Superior Image themselves.
The Superior Image Maxi-Foam Car Wash Soap is environmentally friendly and PH balanced and delivers great shine with no streaks or marks after rinsing. It works by suspending super polymers within each bubble which allows road grime and built-up dirt to be effortlessly rinsed away. What we appreciate about this product is that it lasts a very long time. More bang for your buck!
- Quick and easy to use.
- Can be used for hand wash and foam guns.
- Delivers a great shine with no streaks or marks.
- It is environmentally friendly and PH balanced.
- Super polymers allow for dirt and grime to be rinsed away.
- Foams well.
- Has a great scent.
- Good for maintaining waxed or coated surfaces.
- Could do with more staying power.
Buyers guide for buying the best car wash soap
We hope we have made things a little easier for you with our list of the best car wash soaps. It is after all an important choice to make as you don’t want to cause any damage to your car. We have learned that it’s not worth taking any shortcuts, but rather make an informed decision. You need to consider things like toxic and harmful chemicals that can harm both you and the environment. You also don’t want your car wash soap to mess up your wax or coated surfaces.
And let’s face it, the quicker we can get the job done well – the better, right?
Washing your car can be quite fun and you don’t need a lot of stuff to get started.
Following are some helpful suggestions:
- Buckets – It’s better to have two buckets for washing your car. One for water mixed with your car wash soap and the other bucket for clean water so you don’t reapply dirt to your car.
- Water hose – A hose is necessary for rinsing your car after washing it.
- Washing mitts, cloths, and drying cloths – It’s worth investing in a proper washing mitt or washing cloth to make sure it doesn’t damage or scratch your car. You should also have a separate drying cloth at hand to use after rinsing with water.
- Foam Gun or Foam Cannon – If time is an issue it could be worth investing in a foam gun or a foam cannon. Not only do they help create a thick foam, but it’s faster and more fun to use!
- Grit guard – This can be helpful to prevent grime from accumulating on the washing mitt or cloth.
There we go! Now you are set up and ready to make your car look like new again.
What to look for when buying the best car wash soap
There are a lot of aspects to look out for when buying a car wash soap – all depending on your needs. Are you looking for great value for money or more of a luxury spoil? Do you prefer a soap with added wax or are you looking for specific foam gun compatibility? It can be quite the challenge, so let us help you by narrowing down what to look for when buying the best car wash soap – right here below:
Value for money
Let’s face it, even if money is no issue, we all want bang for the buck! The best way of saving money is to purchase the largest quantity possible. You usually find that the more you buy the cheaper it is per ounce. Most of the car wash soaps in our list are also very concentrated, so a little goes a long way.
As mentioned above, the concentration of your soap determines how long it will last for. It’s also imperative to find the right concentration level if you plan on using foam guns, as you don’t want to damage the tool or your car. If you put too much of high concentration soap in your soap gun, you will be making far too many suds, which subsequently could break your machine.
To maximize the cleaning quality of the soap, it should produce enough foam. A car wash soap that forms a thick foam will be able to clean away dirt and grime far better than thin suds. It will lift the debris off the surface of your car and it will rinse off easily. With more foam, there is also less chance of damaging your car’s paintwork when washing it.
The pH level refers to the acid or alkaline level of the soap. A car wash soap with a lower pH level contains more alkaline which is ideal for removing dirt and grime. It also makes it safer and gentler on other parts of your car.
Spot and Streak Resistance
There is nothing more annoying than getting left with watermarks and streaks all over your car after washing it. You often find this happens with low-quality products and a good rule is to buy a soap that dries quickly to avoid this.
Eco – Friendly
Please always consider the environment when choosing a car wash soap. Look for an eco-friendly and biodegradable option when possible.
If you have breathing problems or any allergies, consider choosing formulas with mild or neutral smells. Alternatively, look out for your favorite scent to make the cleaning experience more enjoyable.
Questions / FAQ
Q: What is a good substitute for car wash soap?
A: If you want to look after your car properly you should not be using household cleaning products like dish soap and dishwashing detergents as many of them contain chemicals that can strip and damage the paintwork of your car. That’s why it’s important to use a proper car wash soap.
Q: What soap can be used to wash a car?
A: Invest in a good quality car wash soap. These are formulated to clean and protect the paintwork of your car. Consider choosing a highly concentrated soap for good value for money. For more tips and information, please refer to our list –The Best Car Wash Soap – Top Ten.